An Australian mum has shared a picture of a child’s X-ray as part of a dire warning to parents about why they should never let their kid’s eat full grapes.
Angela Henderson, who runs parenting blog Finlee and Me, recently shared the picture from a paediatrician in order to raise awareness about choking hazards.
“Do you know what this X-ray is of? A grape! A grape that was lodged in the top of a five-year-old’s airway today,” she wrote.
“This sweet soul had to be operated on, under general anaesthetic to remove the grape. He is VERY lucky that part of his airway was open or else this could have ended badly.”
The post has been shared over 4500 times and has over 3000 comments from worried parents, many of them saying they were unaware of the danger.
“Oh my gosh I need to start cutting up grapes,” one mum wrote. “Just never knew they could be lodged like this. Thank you so much.”
Another wrote: “This scares me. Already sort of knew they should be cut up but good to get a reminder like this.”
Grapes are the third most common cause of food-related choking, after hotdogs and sweets, according to the ‘Archives of Disease in Childhood’.
If your child has an obstructed airway please call 000 for Emergency Services. Otherwise, please visit us (no bookings required).