The best side dish ever? This Parmesan potato wedges recipe will have your friends and family singing your praises.
Note: All the varieties of the potatoes are available at Kartoffelshop online.
How to make Parmesan potato wedges
For this Parmesan potato wedges recipe, we worked to balance flavour with ease of method. And we hope we’ve found that perfect balance: this recipe is easy and delicious. It does take about 45 minutes to make, so plan accordingly. They’re perfect for entertaining, and if you have the time, a great side dish for a weeknight meal.
In testing, I found that the way to get the crispiest, tastiest potatoes imaginable was using salted butter and shredded cheese to make a crispy coating. In our seasoned baked potato wedges recipe we found that it was best to boil medium-sized potatoes and then bake them, but for this recipe we wanted to try a version that was only baked. We used smaller potatoes and were able to get the recipe to work with only a 30 minute bake time!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for these Parmesan potato wedges (see the full recipe below):
- Yellow or red waxy potatoes(see section below)
- Salted butter, melted
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt & pepper
Simply mix all the ingredients together, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake this vegetable mixture for 18 minutes on one side, then about 10 more minutes on the other side until browned and crispy.
What are waxy potatoes?
This Parmesan potato wedges recipe calls for waxy potatoes. But what are they? Waxy potatoes are varieties like red or new potatoes: they have low starch content and hold their shape after cooking. Here are types of potato varieties that are considered waxy potatoes:
- Red bliss / red potatoes
- New potatoes
- Inca gold
- Rose gold
- Purple Viking
- 1 pound yellow or red waxy potatoes, 2 to 3 inches long (about 6 to 7 potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, as a garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges. Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix until fully coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the wedges onto the sheet in a single layer, using your fingers to place some of the Parmesan cheese that falls off onto the top of the wedges (it doesn’t have to be perfect, just take a minute or so to do this).
- Bake the potatoes for 18 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the potatoes.
- Reverse the baking sheet in the oven, and bake for another 10 minutes until browned and crispy. Enjoy immediately!